Denman Computer Access Program Site
When are we open?
Wednesdays 4-7pm & Thursday 4-7pm
We’re in the Community School PORTABLE
Our Community Access Program (CAP) Site offers Internet access, computer use, wifi and printing. We gratefully accept donations for use of the space but it is not a requirement. The computer use has no time limit unless there’s a line-up. Printer use is $.10/page. Help Desk volunteers for the CAP Site are always welcome, let us know if you want to volunteer.
What is a CAP Site?
Community Access Programs (CAP) have been set up in communities across Canada through funding from Industry Canada, a department of the federal government. These CAP sites provide free Internet access to the public. CAP sites are located in public libraries, other public buildings, and – in several cases in BC – in community schools.
The Denman Island CAP Site has several computers and resource information:
• use the computers
• search the Internet and use Email
• search for jobs
• develop specific skills with the software available
Acceptable Computer Use Agreement
This Acceptable Use Agreement details acceptable uses, rules of “online” behaviour and access privileges for Internet users of the Denman Island Community School Access Site.
The purpose of the Community Access Site is to facilitate communications to support individuals and members of the business community by providing access to unique resources and information. All use of this technological resource must comply with existing rules, laws and Acceptable Use policies which are incorporated into this document and posted in the Community Access Computer site.
The use of the Community Access Site is a privilege, not a right. The Site and its agents retain the right to determine whether privilege of use should be granted or revoked.
The Internet is an electronic highway connecting thousands of computers all over the world and millions of individual subscribers. The Internet allows you to access and use information sources from distant computers, to communicate and share information with individuals or groups and to expand significantly your knowledge base. You will have access to countless individuals and information sources, including:
• Information and news from scientific research institutes and scientists all over the world
• Business and employment opportunities
• Discussion groups on a plethora of topics
• Organized immediate access to reference resources and government information
• Tutorials to help beginners learn about the electronic highway and it’s use
• Controversial Material
On a global network, it is impossible to control effectively the content of data and an industrious user may discover controversial material which user, parents, children and others may consider inappropriate or offensive. It is the user’s responsibility not to initiate access to such material. There is no Cyber Patrol or Net Nanny at these sites.
The Denman Island Community School makes no warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, for the service it provides, nor will it be held responsible for any damages which a user might suffer. This includes loss of data resulting in delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, service interruptions, errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at the user’s own risk. Denman Island Community School accepts no responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through the Internet, or for any costs, liabilities or damages caused by the user. All users need to consider the source of any information obtained and its validity. In addition to the above, I agree that I…
• Will use the Internet access for educational, community, employment and/or business development purposes only
• Will not use the Internet access for any illegal or unauthorized act
• Will report any potential security problems to the staff at the Community Access Site
• Acknowledge that Denman Island Community School reserves the right to monitor all traffic in and out of the access point, to review any material or user records to make determinations about whether specific uses of access are appropriate
• Will read and abide by the generally accepted rules of Network Etiquette as posted
• Will not engage in any form of vandalism or harassment on the Internet
• Will not engage in any form of chat on the Internet
• Will not use the CAP equipment for computer games
• Will not use the CAP Equipment for email unless it is web-based (Hotmail, Rocketmail, etc.)
Penalties for Improper Use
Any user violating any Site rules or procedures, or any applicable provincial or federal laws is subject to loss of access privileges and any other actions deemed appropriate, including restitution.
(If you are under 18, BOTH you and a parent or guardian must read and sign this agreement before you will be granted access privileges to the Internet).
I understand that access to the Internet is designed for information and learning purposes. I understand and will abide by the above conditions or rules of this Acceptable Use Agreement and any/all policies/procedures developed by Denman Island Community School . I further understand that any violation of the above conditions or rules is unethical and may constitute a criminal offense. Should I commit any violation of these rules, my access privileges may be revoked and disciplinary action and/or appropriate legal action may be undertaken.
Date: ___________ User (Print) ____________________
Parent or Guardian
As the parent or guardian of this user, I have read this Acceptable Use Agreement. I recognize that it is impossible for Denman Island Community School to restrict access to controversial materials and I will not hold them responsible for material acquired on the Internet. Further, I accept full responsibility for supervision for my child’s use and hereby give permission for my child to use the Community Internet Access Site to access the Internet. I certify that the information contained on this form is correct.
Signature of Parent (or guardian)
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments. We look forward to hearing from you!